The philosophy is pretty simple. If you can plant it, pick it or catch it, then you can eat it. If not, then stay away.This is the same approach that you should have when it comes to pre and post-workout snacks.
Here are some natural foods that will prepare you for your workouts and help you recover afterwards.
- Handful of raw almonds and blueberries
- Spoonful of peanut butter with a bit of raw honey
- ¼ spoonful of coconut Oil (an old athlete secret)
For post-workout meals, you need to focus on a combo of protein, fat, carbs and sugar. It is suggested to get your carbs from veggies and to have a small serving of sweet potatoes if your goal is to lose weight.
Remember: Don’t overthink any of this, keep it simple. Just eat real whole food!
Veggie Egg Scramble & Fruit
- Pick 3 of your favorite veggies (onion, mushroom, spinach, etc.)
- 2-4 eggs
- Small bowl of fruit: watermelon is great post workout snack
- Dark leafy greens: use spinach, kale, romaine or arugula, and add in some chopped herbs like basil, parsley or cilantro
- Lean protein: choose between chicken, turkey or fish.You can use canned tuna, salmon, or even sardines
- Vegetables: use an unlimited amount of beets, carrots, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, radish or celery
- Fruit: use only 1-2 servings of strawberries, blueberries, apple, pear slices, cucumbers or tomatoes
- Fats: choose 1-2 of the following: ¼ – ½ avocado, 6-8 raw almonds or walnuts, or sprinkling some raw sunflower seeds
- Dressing: 1 tablespoon olive oil + a touch of vinegar (red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar are great options) and a squeeze of lemon or lime
- Protein: chicken, fish, beef or wild game
- Veggies: 2 servings
- Fat: 1 serving
You should make an effort to eat within 30-45 minutes after a workout. If that’s hard to make it happen,pack fruit and raw almonds and take them with you.
Also, drink a lot of water post-workout, to assure that you don’t overeat. Dehydration is often mistaken as hunger.You can have a smoothie with banana, blueberry, mango, strawberry,but be cautious with the sugar. This healthy smoothie sends your insulin levels on a roller-coaster ride, causing your body to store fat. You do need sugar post workout, but limit the smoothie to one or two servings.
- If You Want To Maximize Workout Results Try These Foods Immediately!
- Which Is Best Post Workout Recovery Food
- Green Smoothies That Boost Energy For Good Start Of Your Day!
- Protein Shakes For Energy Restoration
- What To Watch For While Having Summer Workout