What Is Sungazing
Sungazing is an interesting practice that touches the spiritual and psychological realms, which are very personal things. Everyone is wired a little differently and this practice isn’t for everyone, nor is it something is recommended. If you choose to take part,then, do your own research and be careful, be cautious, and document your experience.
Sungazing in general, means to stare at the Sun for a short period of time, during what are known as safe hours of the day, either during the first hour of the sunrise, or the last hour before the sun sets. This should be ideally practiced barefoot with your feet standing on the earth.
Our ancestors understood the relation between the Sun and health. From the Aztecs to the ancient Egyptians, many ancient societies revered sungazing as an esoteric practice for high-ranking priests and shamans.
Today, it is experiencing a resurgence in popularity and sungazers claim it has its benefits.
What Are The Benefits Of Sungazing
The practice of sungazing has some truly amazing benefits, not only for your physical health, but also for your mental well-being and spiritual development. Some of the benefits of sun gazing include:
- Relief of stress and tension
- Increased energy
- Boosts production of the feel good hormones serotonin and melatonin(Research shows that sungazing stimulates the pineal gland as the direct sunlight hits the eye, moves through retinal-hypothalamic tract, and then hits the brain. This stimulates the pineal gland, also known as the “master gland”. This boosts the secretion of melatonin and serotonin, our “feel-good” hormones).
- Improved eyesight
- Reduces hunger pains:body is completely nourished by the Sun (some people claim to have been able to take part in this practice and not eat anything during the entire process which is usually about 9 or 10 months)
- Stimulation of the pineal gland
- Increased size of pineal gland
- Releasing of internal blockages
- Increased human potential
- Promotes weight loss. One of the historical theories for sun gazing was that the body and mind could be nourished by the sun, reducing the need for food.Similarly, some modern day sungazers say they have lost excess weight, and some even report a total loss of the desire and need to eat.
Who Is Hira Ratan Manek?
The person who brought sungazing to the Western world -Hira Ratan Manek, a man who lives off of the energy that the sun provides and water.
Sometimes he will have tea, coffee or buttermilk for social purposes. He states that the Sun can be used to heal the mind, body and spirit. He also claims that as a result of sun gazing you will have better physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.
Hira Ratan Manek has gone through three strict long term fasts and during those he was under the supervision and observation of various medical and scientific teams.
Yes, some of these claims sound outrageous, but if you are interested in any of these benefits and the practice of sun gazing interests you, why don’t you give it a shot and see for yourself?
The purpose of this article is not to convince you to stop eating, but to open the doors to show the potential of what we are capable of, and to show you a method that if practiced regularly should at the very least, bring some more joy, clarity and energy into your life.
A scientist by the name of Vinny Pinto did conduct a survey on 56 participants and outlined their experiences in what he called “The First Sungazing List Group Sungazers Survey.” His major findings from the study were:
- Health improvements especially among women
- People who practiced sungazing for more than five years and who gazed mid-day (instead of the insisted hour after sunrise and hour before sunset) were more likely to report adverse effects
- 35 out of the 51 participants reported to have “increased or greatly increased energy” while only 1 participant reported reduced energy
- The number of people who reported a “decreased need for solid food” was approximately equal to the number of people who reported “no significant change in the need for food.” Only 1 person in the study, reported an increased need for food.
- People who had sun gazed for at least a year for at least 4 times per week were far more likely to report a decreased need for solid food.
- The most common physical/mental/spiritual experiences reported from sun gazing were bliss, joy, peace and calmness.
- No one from the study reported a decrease in physical health, everyone reported that his or her health was the same or had improved.
Method Of Sungazing
It is important to note that this is just one method. This can be adjusted to each individual and doesn’t have to be practiced exactly how it is stated. This method is the HRM method.
Many people have however had amazing success using this method. If you are going to modify this method please do your research and do not attempt to stare at the sun during the times with uv radiation present, and also do not stare at the sun for longer than the approved times.
You can adjust this method with how often you practice it and for your intentions behind it, but aside from that you should try to aim to stick to the general guidelines so that you don’t injure your eyesight or cause permanent retinal damage, this is very serious.
Here is the method that HRM recommends:
- Begin by spending a maximum of 10 seconds on the first day by looking directly at the sun during the safe hours.
- It is an important part of the practice that you stand barefoot on bare earth. Apparently this helps to keep you grounded and enhances the benefits of sun gazing.
- As you are staring at the Sun, visualize the energy from the Sun coming into your body and filling your body and cells with rejuvenating light.
- On the second day aim for 20 seconds, each day after that continue adding 10 seconds to the previous day. So at 10 days you will be looking at the sun for 100 seconds, or 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Continue this daily, until you have reached 44 minutes. This should take between 9-10 months depending on the weather. According to HRM, this is all you need to gain the benefits described above from sungazing.
- After this you will need to walk for 45 minutes each day for the 6 days following the completion of the 9-10 months of sun gazing.
- From here on out, just make a conscious effort to continue to walk barefoot on the earth, preferably in the sun whenever you feel like it or get the time.
During this time it is important to stay centered and see what comes up for you. It is also a good idea to keep a journal to track your progress and keeping note of how you are physically and mentally feeling.
THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! IF THE PROPER TIMES ARE NOT FOLLOWED EYES CAN BE DAMAGED BY THE UV RAYS FROM THE SUN.
Avoid Eye Damage
You might be wondering whether or not it can be damaging to your eyes to sungaze. As mentioned above, if you look at the Sun when there is no UV (last 45 min and first 45 min of sunlight) you will not damage your eyes.
Yes, the Sun holds incredible power for those who wish to obtain it,for souls who are patient and willing to change of how they view their existence, and how they currently live their lives.
Light is the basic nutrient of all life.How we utilize, metabolize and understand- this light can help us evolve.
Videos You Tube featuring Hira Ratan Manek
- Why Swimming Is So Good For Shaping Your Body
- Does Fasting Helps You Lose Weight?
- Health Benefits Of Practicing Tai-Chi
- How Many Eggs Can You Safely Eat Per Week?
- Practicing Sun Salutation-Why And How To Do It