A cough drives everyone crazy, especially the person who have it. It interrupts sleep and it usually leads to temporary insomnia which can be very inconvenient.
What do we usually do? We usually go to the first pharmacy we can find and by some syrup for cough.But, you should also know that they come with a number of potential side effects like:
- Rare allergic reactions(rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness and trouble breathing)
Instead, you should consider some simple natural elixirs you can make right at home.They are not only cheaper but they can be more effective and don’t come with harmful side effects.
The elixirs that follows,combines the healing powers of raw honey with apple cider vinegar and spices to make a powerful, more effective alternative to commercial cough medicines.
Not only you can use it in this recipe, but you can also drop some on your pillowcase at night, just before bed, to help reduce the nighttime cough. The scent helps to soothe and calm the throat so that you’re less likely to cough through the night.
It has also being used to soothe a sore throat,and researchers have found that it may be a very effective cough suppressant too. The spices not only add a flavorful taste, but offer their own fabulous properties too.For example, cinnamon is considered a warming expectorant, used to reduce congestion and phlegm in the lungs which is especially helpful when you have a cough with a cold.
Cayenne also helps with a cough as it’s an analgesic that reduces the sensation of pain by blocking Substance P, a compound that transmits sensation to the brain. If you’re coughing because your throat tickles or hurts, it can help desensitize the tickling and reduce coughing. Ginger root helps to relieve a sore throat that can often result from all of that coughing, while garlic works its wonders by destroying bacteria present in your throat that helps to reduce cough.
Powerful And Spicy Cough Elixir
- 1 tablespoon raw, organic and unfiltered, apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- A small glass jar with a lid
- Melt honey by using the double-boiler method. Put it in a small glass bowl and place the bowl into a larger container filled with hot water. Don’t melt it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- In your small glass jar, add the apple cider vinegar and water, and then add the cayenne, ginger, cinnamon and garlic. Place the lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well-combined.
- Add the melted honey to the jar and shake again to combine.
- When you’re ready to use it, take one to two tablespoons. If you plan to use it up within three days, there is no need to keep the remaining amount refrigerated.
The turmeric-ginger elixir serves as an anti-inflammatory that will relieve a cough and a sore throat and is often effective for headaches too.
As mentioned, the anti-inflammatory gingerols and shaogals in ginger root help to relieve a sore throat that can often result from all of that coughing. Its powerful compounds also help to heal the common cold,relieve congestion and naturally reduce fever and pain.
Turmeric’s medicinal value comes in thanks to the compound curcumin which serves as an anti-inflammatory agent in addition to possessing antibacterial and anti-viral action.
Those properties aid in treating bacterial and viral infections, including coughs and colds. It helps to relieve chest congestion that develops in those who suffer from a chronic cough by getting rid of phlegm.
The black peppercorns in the recipe can provide relief from sinusitis and colds, as well as fighting bacterial infections due to its anti-bacterial properties, while the honey, as mentioned, soothes the throat by coating it and acts as a cough suppressant.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon raw, organic honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Bring water to boiling in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, turmeric, and crushed peppercorns.
- Bring mixture to a boil again until the mixture reduces by about half.
- Strain it into a cup and add honey. Mix well and then drink hot. If serving to a small child (over 12 months of age), be sure that it’s not too hot, lukewarm is okay. You may also want to add a bit more honey and lemon to make it more palatable for little ones.
Hot Cough-Suppressing Herbal Tea
Finally, this magical elixir uses many of the same ingredients as the previous recipes, along with some new ones. It offers potent anti-inflammatory properties to soothe sore and scratchy throats and is also loaded with vitamin C to help strengthen the immune system.
The honey adds sweetness along with those important enzymes, antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties that help to soothe the throat and suppress a cough. The almond milk adds body and texture, while thyme and oregano serve to cool the throat.
The black peppercorns not only add some kick to this herbal tea, but also work to stimulate mucous flow to get it moving out of your system if you have a cold so that you’ll feel better sooner too.
- 1 bunch oregano
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1” piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1” piece turmeric, peeled and grated, or 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/4” teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 cups water
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Add garlic, honey, almond milk, and lime juice, stirring to dissolve honey.
- Reduce temperature to low and allow the mixture to steep for 6 minutes.
- Heat the herbs, ginger, turmeric, peppercorns and water in a saucepan to just before boiling. Don’t allow it to boil to allow the mixture to retain its rich nutrient benefits.
- Using a wooden spoon, lightly hit the oregano and thyme to release oils.
- Strain into a large heatproof container, pressing on the herbs
- How To Make Homemade Coughing Syrup
- What Happens When You Drink Honey Water Every Day
- The Best Home Remedy For Cold And Flu
- The Indian Kidney Bean Kebabs -Rajma Kebabs
- If You Drink Turmeric Milk -This Will Happen To You!