Yes, it is true…if you don’t change sedentary lifestyle eventually it might kill you. Sitting all day long in a work chair,then home working late are not so good choices.
You should certainly DO something about it if you find yourself in this text!
Why Physical Inactivity Is Hazardous To Your Health
One very important way to avoid the hazards of unhealthy living is to obtain a regular dose of physical activity on a daily basis.
And for people with disabilities it is a much greater risk for developing health problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle.They are getting even less physical activity because of the numerous barriers they face in becoming physically active.
Why physical activity is SO IMPORTANT?
It is important because:
- It increases the risk of getting colon and breast cancer
- Physical activity helps reduce the risk of cognitive decline
- Physical activity helps prevent insulin resistance, the underlying cause of type 2 diabetes
- People who are sedentary have the highest rate of heart attack
- It brings loss of lean muscle tissue, making activities of daily living much more difficult to perform. Loss of vital lean muscle tissue also makes it more difficult to maintain body weight.
- Stroke, which is often referred to as a brain attack, affects approximately 730,000 people annually
- Bones, like muscles, require regular exercise to maintain their mineral content and strength. Bone loss progresses much faster in people who are physically inactive.
- You are more likely to become depressed. Physical activity is a good way to reduce mood swings and helps a person maintain a sense of emotional well being.
- You are more likely to gain excess weight. One study showed that an hour of walking daily cut the risk of obesity by 24%.
- You will have a more efficient immune system, which helps ward off various disease and illnesses such as colds and the flu.
Usually stuck at work for long hours? Your sedentary lifestyle will definitely ruin your fitness. So, in between all the deadlines and pending work, make sure you do some stretching exercises at your workplace.
Simple Workouts To Avoid Health Hazards Of Sedentary Lifestyle
Well, it is not over yet – you should try these exercises while in office and not being odd for your colleagues
Workout Exercises While Sitting
- Move your toes by lifting them while keeping your heels firmly on the ground-it works very well while seated
- While sitting in your chair, lift your left leg a few inches off of the floor. Keep your knee bent at a 90 degree angle and hold the position as long as you are comfortable.
- Most of the football players practice rapidly tapping their feet in place, simulating a run. You can also do the same thing while seated, for 30 seconds at a go.
- Do leg extensions exercise while sitting in your chair, extend your right leg until it is level with your hip and hold as long as you are comfortable and then relax it. Do it the same for left leg.
- Lift up your arms and stretch
- You can also raise your shoulder to your ear, hold and then relax. Repeat with the alternating shoulders.
- Just pull your shoulders as high as you can and roll them forward and backward ten times throughout the day. This is a shoulder shrug exercise.
- Your fingers are busy in typing on computers in that case make fists, spread your fingers and bend your fingers
- Also try abdominal stretch while sitting on the edge of your chair and stretch both your arms out in front. At the same time, keep your back straight, contract your abdominal muscles. Relax and repeat the same.
- Neck rotation is very important when sitting for long. Drop your chin and roll your neck. Raise your chin up and bend your neck to each side.
Workout Exercises While Standing
- Try to walk around your office or walk the stairs to stretch your legs, which is the best workout. You can also try taking the widest step and lunge forward.
- Raise your heels off the floor and slowly lower them. It will help in relaxing your calf.
- Stand in front of your chair and repeat sitting down and standing up 10 times. You can do this at least three times in a day.
- You can stand in front of a desk or other piece of furniture which is comfortable for you to hold on to for balancing yourself, lean on a sturdy piece of furniture and gradually push your body off it in a sort o5.Rest your back against a wall and move your feet away from the wall. The wall should only be supporting the weight of your back and your knees should be bent. Hold the position as long as possible and repeat it.
- Attempt to do jumping jacks by raising your right arm and at the same time tapping your left toe to the side. And keep your right foot on the floor. Try for alternate sides for a full minute. Avoid this if there is weakness in the knees.
- You can also do chair squats by lifting your rear end off your seat and hold for a few seconds.
We do hope that besides this you can join some yoga classes,Pilates,swimming or do hiking for weekends, or whatever occurs in your mind, so you can move your juices within and fight the sedentary lifestyle by MOVEMENT!
- Useful Tips For Hip Pain Relief
- 6 Life Hacks To Fix Poor Posture To Prevent Pain
- How To Fitness In Your 30’s And Preserve Health
- How To Reverse Premature Body Aging
- Having A Back Problems? Here Are 8 Ways To Improve Your Body Posture