Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet. A whole egg contains all the nutrients needed to turn a single cell into an entire baby chicken.
However,eggs have gotten a bad reputation because the yolks are high in cholesterol.
In fact, a single medium sized egg contains 186 mg,of cholesterol, which is 62% of the recommended daily intake.
People believed that if you ate cholesterol, that it would raise cholesterol in the blood and contribute to heart disease.
But, it turns out that it isn’t that simple. The more you eat of cholesterol, the less your body produces instead.
How Our Body Regulates Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is often seen as a negative word.When we hear it, we automatically start thinking of medication, heart attacks and early death.
But the truth is that cholesterol is a very important part of the body. It is a structural molecule that is an essential part of every single cell membrane .It is also used to make steroid hormones like testosterone,estrogen and cortisol. Without cholesterol, we wouldn’t even exist.
Given how incredibly important cholesterol is, the body has evolved elaborate ways to ensure that we always have enough of it available.
Because getting cholesterol from the diet isn’t always an option, the liver actually produces cholesterol.But when we eat a lot of cholesterol rich foods the liver starts producing less.
What Happens If You Eat Several Eggs Per Day?
- Eating Omega-3 enriched eggs can lower blood triglycerides, another important risk factor
- Blood levels of carotenoid antioxidants like Lutein and Zeaxanthin increase significantly
The science is clear that up to 3 whole eggs per day are perfectly safe for healthy people who are trying to stay healthy.
Many observational studies show that people who eat eggs don’t have an increased risk of heart disease, but some of the studies do show an increased risk in diabetics.
The healthiest eggs are Omega-3 enriched eggs, or eggs from hens that are raised on pasture. These eggs are much higher in Omega-3s and important fat-soluble vitamins.
Let’s not forget that eggs are about more than just cholesterol.They’re also loaded with nutrients and have various other amazing benefits:
- Studies show that eggs increase satiety and help you lose weight
- They’re very high in coline,a brain nutrient that over 90% of people are lacking
- They’re high in Lutein and Zeaxanthin, antioxidants that reduce your risk of eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts
- They’re high in quality animal protein, which has many benefits – including increased muscle mass and better bone health
Given the incredible range of nutrients and powerful health benefits, quality eggs may just be the healthiest food on the planet.
- Why Are Chia Seeds So Amazing For Us
- Why We Should Put Salmon On Our Menu
- Why Is It Important To Eat Vegetables?
- Not Getting Enough Sleep? You Might Develop These 4 Diseases!
- Coffee Health Benefits – Do They Really Exist?