Easter Coconut Cake
Easter is just few days away and you want to surprise your family and friends with an amazing dessert for the occasion – the famous Easter coconut cake.
And you know what?
There’s no better way to welcome spring and Easter again and to dress up your beautifully decorated Easter table.
How to make it?
- Baking spray (for pan)
- 3 cups of cake flour, spooned and leveled (here you can find all food measurements if you’re not quite sure)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup of malted milk powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup half-and-half, at room temperature (Half-and-half is a blend of equal parts whole milk and light cream, and it has a 10 to 12% fat content. While it can’t be whipped, it adds richness without being as heavy as cream on its own)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pure coconut extract
- 1 large egg plus 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Coconut Buttercream
- 1/8 tsp. brown gel food coloring (blue, pink or whatever food color you prefer)
- Phyllo nest and Robin egg candies
Coconut Buttercream Ingredients
- 1 cup(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 6 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- pinch of Kosher salt
- Blue gel food coloring(or any other color you prefer)
Preparation Of Coconut Buttercream
- Beat butter and cream of coconut with an electric mixture on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes
- Gradually beat in sugar
- Beat in pure vanilla extract and a pinch of kosher salt until combined
- Beat in blue(or any other color) gel food coloring, one drop at a time until you reach to desired color
But perhaps the most impressive feature in this cake is the Phyllo nest.
Wondering how to make it?
It’s so easy.
Phyllo Nest Ingredients
- 6 sheets of phyllo dough
- Cooking spray
Preparation of Phyllo Nest
- Tightly roll 6 sheets of Phyllo dough lengthwise
- Slice very thinly
- Transfer them to a baking sheet, loosely separating layers
- Spray with cooking spray
- Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) until they become golden-brown, for about 10 to 12 minutes
- Let them cool completely
And Finally – Making The Easter Coconut Cake
- First, you need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C)
- Lightly grease three 8-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper rounds
- Take a deep bowl and whisk together flour, baking powder, malt powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, continue to whisk together oil, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, coconut extract, and whole egg until smooth
- Fold in flour mixture just until incorporated
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, for about 1 – 2 minutes
- Fold egg whites into batter just until combined
- Divide batter among prepared pans
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, somewhere between 18 – 22 minutes. However, each oven bakes differently, so you’ll want to pay attention to the minutes while it’s baking.
- When finished, cool them in pans on a wire rack for about 15 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely
- Place one layer on a cake plate and frost top with 1 cup Coconut Buttercream in which you have added 1-2 drops of food color
- Repeat the procedure two more times
- Use the remaining Coconut Buttercream to frost the sides of the cake
- To achieve the dotted effect, you need to stir together food coloring and 2 drops water in a bowl. Dip the tip of a wide, stiff paintbrush into the mixture. Holding the brush 6 to 8 inches from the cake, gently fling the mixture onto iced cake, and repeat for desired effect.
- Then thinly sliced Phyllo dough gently layer around the cake, then complement it with store-bought robin’s egg candies
- Do the same procedure on the top of the cake, by making nest with egg candies inside (and around)
And the final result as you can see, is a stunning dessert that doubles the festive pleasure as an amazing Easter table decor.
Happy Easter people!
Source: Country Living
- Always Handy And Tasty Apple Strudel Muffins
- How To Make These Amazing Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- How To Make Healthy Yogurt Cheesecake And Become Guilt Free
- This Easter Carrot Cake Smoothie Will Blow Your Mind!
- Japanese Souffle Pancakes – How To Make The Fluffiest Pancakes In The World