Christmas Decorations Hazard
It is that time of the year when Christmas decorations are most searched and discussed topic.
Everybody is running around to find the best buy and to make their home as pleasant and decorative as possible.
But be careful, in this quest you can make unfortunate decisions – your Christmas decorations may turn out to be health hazardous.
In most cases, poinsettia exposure might cause only discomfort such as:
A mild and itchy rash
Skin contact with the sap of a poinsettia plant can cause a rash.
If this happens, wash immediately the affected area with soap and water, and apply a cool compress to ease itching.
A mild stomachache, vomiting or diarrhea
This can happen after eating part of a poinsettia plant, but severe signs and symptoms are unlikely to happen.
If you find a child eating a poinsettia plant, clear and rinse the mouth immediately.
If the sap of a poinsettia plant comes in contact with the eyes, they can become red and irritated.
In case this happens, flush the eyes with water.
Some people are more sensitive to poinsettia plants than others.
Reactions to poinsettia plants are more common among people who have latex allergies, since latex and poinsettia plants share several proteins.
Also, if you’re allergic to avocados, bananas, chestnuts, kiwis and passion fruits, you might have a greater chance of being allergic to poinsettia plants as well.
In case of a severe reaction, seek prompt medical attention.
It is by far the most recognizable part of Christmas decoration in our homes, but be careful as it is highly poisonous.
The berries may look innocent to kids, but just five berries could lead to vomiting and abdominal cramping because they contain compounds called saponin.
However, be careful with this plant, as ingesting 20 holly berries can become lethal to children.
Symptoms Of Swallowing Holly Berries
Among most common symptoms of Holly poisoning are:
- swallowing difficulty
- blurred vision
- irregular heartbeat
- respiratory difficulty
- and possible death
Remove the Holly berries before decorating.
Check Your String Light Package
Holiday lights and other decorative lighting may cause a house-fire, so you better check them on time.
Of course, there’s no need to fear from string lights, as long as you take the proper precautions.
When you use electric lights, it is advisable to use only the ones recognized for safety.
Check if they have UL Listing mark, which means they have a stamp of approval for risk of fire, electric shock and other dangers.
Check the label color.
The label can also tell you if those lights are safe to use outside.
A green UL label means it can only be used indoors, but a red one is a sign that you can hang them outdoors, too.
Keep Lithium Button Batteries Away From Children
Small and flashy decorations can contain lithium button batteries, and if children find and swallow one of those – it could get stuck in their esophagus.
The electric current has a chemical reaction with saliva that could do serious damage to a child’s esophagus in as little as two hours, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Keep those away and put them somewhere safe!
Keep Your Christmas Tree Hydrated
A nicely watered tree isn’t a fire risk, but a dry tree is more prone to go up in flames, especially with all those light bulbs on it.
Make sure you buy a fresh tree, then slice a piece off the bottom of the trunk before setting it up to help it absorb water.
In case this year you want to buy a fake tree – make sure it’s fire-resistant.
Check Your Socket Outlet Before Plugging
Make sure your outdoor holiday lights to be plugged into ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets, which monitors electric currents to protect you from electrical shock.
They look similar to other outlets, but they have a test and reset buttons on them.
The National Electric Code requires to use new GFCI outlets outlets in bathrooms, outdoor spaces, kitchens, but unfortunately some older homes might not have that kind of protection.
You can always buy a GFCI adapter from a home improvement store or on line.
Make Your Christmas Tree Stable
When setting up a Christmas tree, make sure it can stand still fairly, because not anchoring your tree can definitely be an issue, especially when having around children and pets.
Take necessary caution steps to keep it from being knocked over, by keeping it away from doorways, or simply put a safety gate around the tree.
Safe Christmas Ornament Placement
If you put the Christmas decorations – ornaments – at the very bottom of the Christmas tree, kids and pets might pull them away, pull over the tree, and to break all the others, leaving glass that could hurt your child and pet.
It is not such a good idea to put glass ornaments in a reachable area for them.
Avoid Fake Candy Canes
Because your child might get tempted and put a fake candy cane ornament in the mouth.
Be very cautious with Christmas decorations, as some of them could contain lead or cadmium, which could be poisonous if your child tries to eat them.
Try not to forget to put down all burning candles before going to bed as you pose your home to a fire risk.
Yes, they smell nice and give that cozy Christmas glow you want, still, it is an open flame to consider here.
Never put one on a Christmas tree, and be sure to blow it out before leaving the room.
If you decide to use them anyway, make sure to keep them on a stable, heat-resistant surface,where kids can’t reach or knock them over.
Keep those from your kids reach point AWAY!
Christmas Decorations As Choking Hazard
If you have toddlers, stay away from buying tiny Christmas home decorations, as they could swallow them.
Kids are going to be attracted to them, being all sparkly and glittery – so just keep in mind to avoid them at any cost.
Whatever you choose – choose wisely!
- How To Maintain Your Christmas Plant Until Next Christmas
- Save Money This Year-Creative DIY Christmas Trees Ideas
- Don’t Worry–You Can Still Get Rid Of Christmas Tree Bugs Successfully
- How Gardening With Your Kids Helps Their Growth?
- 25 Of Our Favorite DIY Halloween Decor Ideas