Indian kidney bean kebabs are definitely worth to try and it is always good to experiment a little bit with cuisines from different cultures. This is just one of many that we should explore more.
Tasty And Flavorful Kebabs Made From Kidney Beans
Cuisine: North Indian
serves: 2 to 3
Prep time :30 min cook time: 15 min total prep: 45 min
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup rajma/kidney beans, pressure cooked in 2 cups water
- 1 medium to large potato, pressure cooked in ¾ to 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons oil for sauteing onions
- 43 grams onion or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste or 2 to 3 garlic cloves + ½ inch ginger crushed to paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon besan/gram flour
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or ½ teaspoon amchur powder/dry mango powder, add as per taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil for pan frying
- salt as required
Soaking And Cooking Rajma
- Soak ½ cup rajma beans in enough water overnight or for 8 hours.
- Next day drain all the water. Rinse the beans very well in running water.
- Then place the beans in a pressure cooker.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Pour 2 cups water
- Pressure cook the rajma beans till they have softened really well. The time taken for them to cook depends on the age of the beans. If they are fresh or new, they will take less time to cook. You can pressure cook for 18 minutes on a medium flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, open the cooker
- Mash a few beans and check if they have softened. If not, then pressure cook for some more time
- Drain them well and keep aside
Cooking The Potatoes
- In another cooker or a pot or pan or steamer, boil 1 medium or large potato. If you are pressure cooking, then cook the potato in ¾ to 1 cup water for 2 to 3 whistles.
Preparing The Kebab Mixture
- When the potato becomes warm, peel and begin to mash it with a fork or masher
- Now add the rajma
- With a masher mash the rajma beans and then put it aside
- In a small pan, heat 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Add ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- Saute the onions till translucent or a light brown
- Now add ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste or ½ teaspoon crushed ginger-garlic
- Saute till the raw aroma of both ginger-garlic goes away
- Add 2 tablespoons besan or gram flour
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes
- Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
- Mix very well. Switch off the flame.
- Now add this sauteed onion + spices mixture to the mashed rajma + potato mixture.
- Add ½ teaspoon lemon juice or ½ teaspoon amchur powder or ½ teaspoon dry pomegranate powder. You can add less or more as required
- Season with salt
- Mix very well.Check the taste and add more salt, spices or lemon juice/amchur powder if required.
- Then shape into small or medium sized balls first and then flatten them
Pan Frying The Rajma Kebabs
- Heat 1 or 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Place the kebabs
- On a low to medium flame, pan fry the kebabs. when the base becomes golden, flip and fry the second side
- Fry the kebabs till they are evenly cooked, golden and crisp
- Remove in a plate or tray
- Serve rajma kebabs hot or warm with any chutney or dip
- Cold Weather Comfort Food- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegetable Soup That Soothes Your Soul
- Sunday Sauce Meatballs- Great Recipe In No Time!
- Fall Favorite Recipe-Pumpkin Gingerbread
- Indian Butter Chicken With Turmeric Rice