Pet Danger Plants
As beautiful and decorative plants can be,they might be as well harmful,especially if you are keeping pets at home.Therefore,you should be very careful and well informed,which plants to avoid buying for the sake of your pets.
The list below gives details which of the more commonly grown plants are toxic to pets, and should be avoided by pet owners.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, seek veterinary treatment immediately as, in many cases, the first few minutes or hours can be critical.
These are proven plants that can harm your pets,therefore you should read carefully.
It is important to keep this plant out of reach of curious cats and dogs as it can lead to moderate toxicity.When ingested, the aloe plant can cause vomiting and diarrhea along with changes in mood and urine color, and rarely, tremors.
This plant contains several noxious substances which cause harm. Watch out for salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, pain, lethargy, and tremors in both cats and dogs.
The bulb of the plant is even more toxic than the flowers and stalk so keep your pets away from the potting shed!
Toxic to dogs, cats, horses and other animals, ingesting even a few leaves of the azalea can lead to changes in normal muscle and nerve function.
The effects will usually occur within hours of exposure. Watch out for acute digestive upset, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, frequent bowel movements, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, loss of coordination, paralysis and weak heart rate.
In severe cases, the animal may suffer a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death.
While the Spring Crocus can cause general gastrointestinal upset including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, the Autumn Crocus is far more deadly.
A compound in this plant, called colchicine, is highly toxic and can lead to severe drooling, vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, bloody diarrhea, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure, seizures and death.
Signs may be seen immediately but may also be delayed for several days so if you even suspect your pet has come into contact with any part of this plant, get to a veterinarian immediately.
This delicate little bloom is often found as a filler in flower arrangements, although it can be seen growing in the wild throughout the US, Asia and Europe.
Dogs and cats can suffer gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea from this plant, although you should also be aware it can cause swelling and blockage of the air passages.In the vast majority of cases the pet will make a full recovery within 4 to 24 hours of ingestion.
Also known as Pinks, Wild Carnation or Sweet William, this flower has mild toxic properties which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling.
Your pet doesn’t even have to eat the carnations to suffer from their toxins – simply allowing the animal’s skin to come into contact with the plant can be enough for dermatitis, an inflamed skin condition, to develop.
The sap of the begonia plant contains poisonous crystals which can lead to drooling, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea, and vomiting in animals.
Although this is one of the milder species of toxic flora and typically doesn’t lead to long-term damage, the bulb contains the most concentrated source of poison and so should be stored out of reach of pets.
All parts of the plants are toxic, but most dangerous are the seeds/beans. Signs typically develop 12 to 48 hours after eating.
Be alert if you notice trouble breathing, loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weakness, trembling, loss of coordination, fever and bloody diarrhea. As symptoms progress, the animal may suffer convulsions, coma and death.
An eye-catching and colorful perennial, the chrysanthemum is a traditional garden flower that can pose a hidden threat to pets.
Containing a natural insecticide, the chrysanthemum is generally considered to be low in toxicity to dogs and other mammals (unless large amounts are ingested), although cats can be more sensitive.
Signs of poisoning occur within a couple of hours and include vomiting, diarrhea, hyper-salivation and lack of coordination. Some animals can even experience dermatitis by just coming into contact with these flowers.
Dogs, cats and horses are all susceptible to the toxins in this greenery, with symptoms of ingestion including pawing at the face (due to mouth pain), drooling, foaming and vomiting. Your pet may also struggle to breathe or swallow due to swelling of the lips, tongue, and air passages.
Notice if there are signs of vomiting, excess saliva and diarrhea. If consumed in large enough quantities, your pet can suffer convulsions, drops in blood pressure, tremors and irregular heartbeat.
Unfortunately, this useful piece of greenery is also toxic to both kids and pets, with common signs of in animals including vomiting, abdominal pain, hyper-salivation and diarrhea. Surprisingly, the foliage is more toxic than the berries.
Chewing on the plant can cause it to release toxic crystals into an animal’s tissue, resulting in pawing at the face (due to mouth pain), drooling, foaming and vomiting. Your pet may also struggle to breathe or swallow due to swelling of the lips, tongue, and air passages.
I’s mildly toxic leaves should be kept away from pets and children with symptoms in animals,including intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
The kalanchoe toxins affect the heart with warning signs including drooling, nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, weakness, tremors, seizures and dilated pupils, all of which can eventually lead to death.
If eaten, dogs, cats and horses can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even symptoms of depression.
Even eating one or two petals, ingesting the pollen or drinking the water from the vase can be enough to result in severe,acute kidney failure.
Mistletoe And Holly
Mistletoe contains several substances that are a danger to both dogs and cats, and can lead to intestinal upset, severe drop in blood pressure, breathing problems, and even hallucinations (which we interpret as unusual behavior). Seizures and death may follow.
Sago palms (which aren’t really palms at all) contain a toxin which can cause death in cats and dogs.
The reddish-orange seeds are the most lethal part, although all parts of the plant – both male and female, both young and mature – are poisonous. By some estimations, 50% to 75% of Sago palm poisonings result in the death of the pet.
Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and lack of appetite are the first symptoms, with liver failure following.
Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, excessive salivation and sometimes difficulty breathing occur in dogs, cats and even horses who ingest enough tulip – although the most toxic part is the bulb.
Severe poisoning usually only occurs when dogs dig up freshly planted bulbs or pets gain access to a bag of them.
Among the most versatile of shrubs, the oleander plant – from roots to blooms – is toxic to dogs and cats.
Look out for vomiting, drooling, tremors, seizures, diarrhea and loss of appetite.Veterinarian can see other signs as well like irregular heartbeat and elevated potassium levels.
Love plants, but love your pets MORE!
- Firework Shows And Pet Safety During Holidays-What You Need To Know!
- How To Keep Your Family Safe From Hazardous Christmas Decorations
- If You Have A Dog You Must Know This!
- Adopt Pets And See Your Life Changing For The Better
- This Is Why You Should Reconsider Of Sleeping With Cat In Bed