What Is Self-control?
Self-control is the ability to control your impulses and reactions, and it is a way of having great self-discipline. When self-control is used with common sense, it becomes one of the most important tools for self improvement and for achieving success in life.
Self-control is vital for overcoming many obsessions, addictions, fears and any kind of unsuitable behavior. It also helps you gaining more control of your life, behavior and your reactions.
Good self-control can improve all your relations, forcing you to develop all the patience and tolerance needed.
How Can Self-control Help You?
- It keeps your over-emotional responses in moderation
- It helps to manifest mental and emotional detachment, which contributes in having peace of mind
- It enables to put under control your moods, negative feelings and thoughts
- It strengthens your level of self-esteem, inner strength, confidence and willpower
- It enables you to take more control of your life
- It keeps you alert of any self-destructive, addictive, obsessive and compulsive behavior
- It makes you a responsible person
Which Are Obstacles Of Self-control?
- Lack of knowledge what self-control represents
- Impulsive reactions
- Lack of discipline
- Having no desire to change and improve
- Lack of confidence in yourself
How To Develop More Self Control
If you want to develop more self-control in life, the very first thing you need to do is to identify which areas of your life deserves at most attention. Are they in:
- Gambling or
- Obsessive behavior
Try to define which emotions triggers these processes. Is it anger, dissatisfaction, resentment,unhappiness, pleasure or fear causing them.
Make an effort to identify your thoughts and beliefs that push you over the edge and force you to behave in such uncontrolled manner.
If you want to start somewhere, try some of these affirmations which may help:
- I have the power to choose my emotions and thoughts
- I am in charge of my behavior
- I am fully in control of myself
- I am gaining control of my emotions
- I am in control of my reactions
- Self-control is fun and is pleasurable
- I am the master of my life
- My ability to control my feelings and thoughts is increasing every day
Try visualizing yourself acting with self-control. Take an example where you would usually act with lack of control, and visualize that you are acting calmly and you are fully in charge of the situation.
After a While
If you work on developing and strengthening your willpower and self-discipline through exercises, surely you will master your reactions and there will be no chain reactions for you anymore. This is the most important step for developing self control.
By persistent development and strengthening your willpower with self discipline, you will end up with strengthen self control.
Therefore,work on your self improvement and be fully aware of the process you are stepping in and walking through. At the end you’ll become a true master of your emotions.
- 5 Best Ways To Clear Your Mind And Continue With Life
- How To Control Anger Before It Controls You
- If You Do These 10 Things You Are Mentally Strong Person
- What To Do When Things Go Wrong
- To Forgive – Can You Do It Or Not?