Chestnuts have been always valued as a great food source in many cultures, such as in China, Korea, Japan and the Mediterranean, for more than 6.000 years ago.
Looking at this number, you gotta ask yourself – if chestnuts were of such high value in ancient cultures, why we don’t include them in our cuisine more?
Chestnuts are a delicious treat, either roasted or cooked in soups or other recipes, and having a considerable nutritional value, they are amazing health keepers.
This recipe is so easy to make, that you’ll wanna make it on a regular basis during fall and winter season.
How it is made?
Sweetened Chestnut Puree Recipe
This recipe for sweetened chestnut puree can be used in many desserts and, when combined with whipped cream, it makes a great filling.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 1 3/4 cups Chestnut Puree
- 1 3/4 pounds raw chestnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To roast the chestnuts:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut an “X” into the flat side of each chestnut shell
- Place chestnuts in a single layer on a sheet pan with a lip
- Roast until shells begin to peel back, about 15-20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes to cool
- Peel shells and let chestnuts cool completely
To make the sweetened chestnut puree:
- In a medium saucepan, bring chestnuts,brown sugar(or try honey or agave syrup) and water to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer 25-35 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
- Strain the chestnuts, reserving the liquid
- Blend chestnuts in a food processor until smooth
- Slowly add as much syrup as necessary to achieve the desired consistency through the food chute while the processor is running.
- Let cool completely before refrigerating
And of course, serve!
- 4 Refreshing Sparkling Juice Recipes That Will Cool You Down
- Matcha Lemonade Recipe – Healthy Way Of Cooling This Summer!
- Can There Be Fall Without Roasted Chestnuts
- Have You Tried This Amazing Three Layer Colorful Smoothie
- How To Make Homemade Coughing Syrup