Feng Shui symbols can cause a lot of confusion. Oftentimes this confusion is a result of trying to use culturally specific symbols that don’t make sense rather than choosing symbols that have a deeper resonance and understanding for the individual.
For example, the three-legged frog is considered to be a symbol of good fortune in both Chinese and Japanese culture, however, in early Christian references the frog was seen as an unclean animal and sometimes a symbol of the Devil. As you can see, some symbols do not have a universal meaning.
If you resonate with Chinese culture, then by all means use the Feng Shui symbol of the frog to attract abundance. However, if you grew up in a different culture, it makes more sense to choose symbols of abundance that you are familiar with and that make sense to you.
Symbols work because they resonate with certain energy and they connect with your subconscious mind. Symbols that have a personal significance for you are the most powerful.
Working On Symbolic Level
Working on a symbolic level is very effective for two reasons. One, symbols resonate with certain energy. When you place symbols in your home you bring that specific energy into your home.
For instance, the circle is seen in many cultures as a symbol of unity, enlightenment, and perfection. When you bring images of a circle into your home, you are bringing in the specific energy of the circle.
The second and probably the most important reason symbols are effective is that symbols have a connection with your subconscious mind. Symbols have meaning because we give them meaning. Every symbol that has personal significance has power because we believe in its meaning without a doubt.
The most important thing to keep in mind when using symbols is that you do not have to apply traditional Feng Shui symbols for it to work. Rather, you should choose symbols that resonate with you and that make sense. That is good Feng Shui
Choose your symbols wisely. Select symbols that have personal significance for you and reflect who you want to be.
The Feng Shui Symbols
Abundance And Prosperity
For the most part, effective symbols for the abundance and prosperity area of the Feng Shui include moving objects to call in chi:
- water (either images of water or water features) since water is the most powerful symbol of money in feng shui
- fast growing and tall vertical objects that represent growth and versatility
- anything representing luxury and prosperity like valuable objects, money, or big bunches of flowers
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for abundance:
- Goldfish or koi
- Water and/or water features
- Coins and money
- Sailing ship
- Wood and wood element
- Moving objects like wind chimes, banners, flags
- Valuable possessions
- Your most precious valuable objects
Great colors for the abundance and prosperity area of the bagua map include purple, green, red and gold. The best shapes are vertical columns and pillars since tall vertical objects represent growth.
Fame And Reputation
The fame and reputation area of the bagua map is an indicator of how you ‘shine your light out into the world. This area also corresponds to illumination from within, integrity and honesty.
Therefore, any symbols of illumination are fitting like lighting, sunshine and/or the sun and the fire element. Symbols of accomplishments are appropriate, as are images and items made from animals.
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for fame, reputation and illumination:
- Fire and fire element
- All pleasant lighting
- Animals and things made from animals like leather, hide, bones, etc.
- Wood and wood element
- Symbols of accomplishments like diplomas, awards, etc.
Great colors for the fame and reputation area of the bagua map include red, orange, and neon.The best shapes are stars, sunbursts, triangles, pyramids and diamonds.
Relationship And Love
When selecting Feng Shui symbols for the relationships and love area of the Feng Shui bagua, you want to choose symbols that reflect ideas of companionship, receptivity, longevity, love and tenderness.
The earth element encourages openness and will facilitate receptivity. Images of couples and pairs of objects symbolize companionship and union, while sensual romantic colors promote love and tenderness. Well-built and valuable objects denote long-lasting relationships that are “built to last.”
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for love and relationships:
- Pairs of things
- Images depicting romance and love, photos of you and your partner, happy couples
- Fresh flowers (especially peonies)
- Sensual sounds
- Symbols and mementos from romantic experiences
- Crystals and precious stones
- Objects you value
- Earth element
- Soft nurturing items like cushions, pillows and padded furniture
- Mandarin ducks
- Dragon and phoenix
Great colors for the relationships and love area of the bagua map include red, white, and pink. The best shapes are horizontal shapes and lines, rectangles and squares since these represent the earth element.
Creativity And Children
Because this area of the Feng Shui bagua is related to creativity, children, and joy, symbols that are fun, whimsical and playful are appropriate here. The metal element is also a wonderful addition in this area.
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for creativity and children:
- Images of children playing
- Art/objects that are creative, whimsical, playful, colorful and inspire you
- Music, art
- Art/craft supplies; hobbies and crafts
- Items children have made
- Rocks and stones
- Open containers
Great colors for the creativity and children area of the bagua map include white and pastels. The best shapes are arcs, circles, and ovals.
Helpful People And Travel
The helpful people and travel area of the Feng Shui bagua relates to how much support and guidance you have. Therefore any symbols of support and guidance like “helping hands,” tools that make things easier, and images of guides and mentors are appropriate.
Because this is also the area that relates to travel, any images of travel destinations and maps are wonderful symbols to place here.
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for helpful people and travel:
- Bells or other sound-makers to call in helpful people
- Art/objects that depicts religious/spiritual figures you love, helpful people, spiritual guides, and mentors
- Images of places you want to travel or favorite places
- Filing cabinets (brings order so that you can make decisions)
- Tools for sorting, cutting and refining
- Circular shapes
- Inspirational books
- Address book,
- Images of heaven
- Planets and stars
- Map of the world
- Images of foreign countries
Great colors for the helpful people and travel area of the bagua map include white, grey and silver. The best shapes are arcs and circles.
Career And Journey
The career and journey area of the bagua map represents more than your career, it also influences your purpose in life. Water (and things relating to water) makes an excellent Feng Shui symbol in this area since water promotes clarity and insight.Image of your career or career path you want to be on are excellent symbols for this area.
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for career and journey”
- Water features, liquid, images or symbols of water
- Mirrors, crystals and glass
- Hanging items like plants
- Images and symbols of career or life path you want to be on
Great colors for the career and journey area of the bagua map include black, charcoal, navy blue, deep maroon, chocolate and dark tones. The best shapes are free-form, cascading, flowing, asymmetrical, undulating and randomly shaped objects.
Skills And Knowledge
When selecting symbols for the skills and knowledge area of the Feng Shui bagua, you want to choose symbols that represent wisdom, strength and resourcefulness.
The earth element signifies strength and stability and will give you a strong foundation. Images and symbols of wise people, mentors, and spiritual teachers cultivate self-mastery, wisdom, and peace of mind. Mountains are an excellent Feng Shui symbol for this area since they represent inner stillness and the ability to stand firm.
Here are some common symbols for skills and knowledge:
- Wise people, mentors, people you admire
- Large heavy objects
- Rocks or stones
- Books, tapes, other material being studied
- Boxes and containers
- Meditation items
- A collage of self-exploration
- Altars of thanksgiving
- Mean or tools of your daily practice )
- Symbols of earth
- Spiritual images like Buddha
Great colors for the skills and knowledge area of the bagua map include blue, black, green and brown. The best shapes are rectangles and squares.
Family And Elders
The Feng Shui family and elders area of the bagua map influences your health, your relationship with your family, and your foundations for life.
Therefore, any symbols of growth, healing, strength and transformation are appropriate. Wood nurtures personal growth, intuition, flexibility and expansion. Water also supports your growth and helps you to let go of anything that isn’t working.
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for family and elders:
- Wood and wood element
- Growing things like plants and flowers
- Floral prints and stripes
- Pillars, columns, tall rectangular and vertical objects
- Images of nature, happy people, healthy people, supportive people, family/friends and ideal health
- Musical instruments
- Family ornaments
Great colors for the family and elders area of the bagua map include green and blue. The best shapes are tall vertical shapes, columns and pillars.
Health And Center
The health and center area of the Feng Shui bagua represents the place where all areas of your life converge. Symbols of the earth will ground and stabilize your life allowing you to build upon a solid foundation.
Here are some common Feng Shui symbols for the health and center:
- Items made from earth like ceramics
- Anything representing the earth element
- Open space
- Things that remind you to stay centered
Great colors for the health and center area of the bagua map include yellow, gold, and earth tone colors. The best shapes are squares, rectangles, horizontal or flat items and crosses.
Symbols that have a personal significance for you are the most powerful.Just remember that!
- Powerful Feng Shui Cures For Love And Romance
- How To Apply Feng Shui For Wealth In Your Home Successfully
- The Five Feng Shui Elements
- What Are The 5 Feng Shui Elements?
- Chi Through The Five Elements In Feng Shui