Amazing Rhubarb Health Benefits
Rhubarb is often counted among the fruit species because of its sour, fruity taste and the fact that it is mainly used for desserts.
Its health benefits are tremendous – starting form :
- Having the ability to promote weight loss efforts
- Improve digestion
- Prevention of Alzheimer’s disease
- Stimulating bone growth
- Improving skin health,
- Used as cancer prevention
- Optimizing your metabolism
- Improving circulation
- Protecting against various cardiovascular conditions
The question is – if it posess so many health benefits, then why not to be included more on our menu?
Its harvest time begins in April and that is why you should take advantage of its benefits in this time of the year.
They are cultivated throughout the year in different parts of the world, which makes them available in almost any season. As it is mostly used for desserts, you can still use it other way- in smoothies for example.
Here we will give you one simple smoothie recipe, definitely worth to try.
Rhubarb & Custard Smoothie
Makes 400 ml
- 150 canned rhubarb
- 150 gr strawberries
- 150 g ready-made custard
- 100 ml ice cold semi-skimmed milk
- ice cubes(optional)
- 2 Egg Yolks room temperature
- 2 tsp Corn Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a jug whisk together the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar until well combined
- In a saucepan gently heat the milk and vanilla until warm (not hot!)
- Remove from the heat and add the milk to the egg mixture
- Tip it back into the saucepan and whisk constantly but do not boil the eggs, they need to be heated up
- Take off the heat and whisk until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (if mixture isn’t thickening, gently heat again).
- Let it to cool down
- Drain the rhubarb and discard the juice
- Put it in a food processor with the custard, soy milk, strawberries and process it
- Pour the smoothie in a large glass over ice and serve
It can’t get any simpler than this! Enjoy something different…
- How To Make Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream
- What Is A Holiday Celebration Without Homemade Eggnog
- How To Make The Perfect Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Parfait
- Bed Time Drink- Cranberries And Yogurt Smoothie
- How To Make Light And Simple Dessert:Orange Scented Creamy Rice Pudding Recipe