Fall Food Pleasures
Dried fruit salad generally contains more fiber than the same-sized serving of their fresh counterparts. Fiber helps keep your digestive system running smoothly. Dried apricots, for example, contain 6.5 grams per cup, while fresh apricots contain just 3.1 grams. A cup of raisins contains 5.4 grams of fiber versus just 1.4 grams for seedless grapes. Fiber not only helps your digestive system. According to the Harvard School of Public Health, it helps prevent obesity, heart disease and some forms of cancer
Dried fruits offers some advantages over fresh fruits: a longer shelf life and portability. If you are watching your weight, dried fruits should be eaten in moderation as they contain significantly more calories per serving than fresh fruits. Some dried fruits contain sugars added in processing which increase its calorie content. However, dried fruits without additives offer numerous health benefits.
Dried Fruit And Apple Smoothie
Makes 450 ml
- 125 g dried fruit salad
- 400 ml apple juice
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- ice cubes(optional)
- Roughly chop the dried fruit
- Place it in a large bowl
- Pour over the apple juice,cover it and leave it overnight
- Put the dried fruit salad and the apple juice into a food processor or blender
- Add the yogurt and process until smooth,adding a little more apple juice if necessary
- Pour the smoothie into 2 glasses,add a couple of ice cubes and serve immediately
For apricot smoothie process 200 g canned apricots in natural juice with 150 g apricot yogurt and 150 ml ice cold semi-skinned milk.