Persimmon dates back to the middle of the 19th century in China. Due to its specific taste and healing qualities, persimmon quickly spread throughout Asia and across the globe, eventually arriving in the United States by the 19th century.
Being rich in chemical composition, persimmon is twice superior to apples. The fruit has a lot of vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants that have an amazing impact on the entire human body.
Tremendous Health Benefits Of Persimmon
The list of benefits is huge as you can read in the following text.
Strengthen The Immune System
Persimmon contains large amounts of vitamin A and carotene. This vitamin strengthen the heart muscle, eyesight and participating in the functioning of the immune system. Persimmons are loaded with vitamin C content which stimulates the immune system.
Anti Aging Properties
This fruit is loaded with magnesium.It is perhaps the most important element after oxygen, food and water. Magnesium activates over 300 different biochemical reactions vital for our well being.Magnesium slows down the natural aging process and also has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system.It also reduces the chance of getting kidney stones.
Better Sleep & Less Stress
The presence of vitamins C,PP and Potasium, help us to deal with stress, depression, and insomnia.It is a natural booster to brain activity and physical endurance.Due to the high content of the mineral, persimmon is very beneficial for people leading an active life.
Good For Thyroid Disorders
High levels of iodine in this fruit is beneficial in prevention of diseases of the thyroid gland.
Rich in phosphorus, calcium and iron makes them great during pregnancy,as this fruit is able to compensate for iron deficiency in future mothers.Phosphorus is essential for the baby’s bones as well as the proper functioning of the central nervous system. Calcium is also essential for the functioning of the cardiovascular system, bone health, and it also takes part in the processes of blood coagulation.
Good For Your Heart
It helps in regulating optimum blood pressure in the body by widening the blood vessels and relaxing muscles in the body.This fruit is almost a fat-free fruit but has a high water content that flushes cholesterol and does not add to its build up.
Good For Diet
The fiber in this fruit(called pectin) helps in control of your appetite. It helps regulate blood-sugar levels.They also possess stomach-soothing properties which in return help with constipation and bloated stomach problems.
- Helps against hiccups
- Contain substances known as shibuol and betulinic acid which have an anti-cancer properties.
- Good for liver detox
- Good for cooking(freeze soft persimmons and eat them instead of ice cream,or, add them to a salad for added crunch and flavor)
- Anti-aging Facial mask(it can be effective as facial mask. Take the flesh of persimmons, add a yolk and lemon juice and apply onto face)
- Insect Repellent(the smell of the astringent persimmon repels bugs. Mash the entire fruit and apply it to a piece of cloth and put it in the bug concentrated area)
- Get rid of cellulite(Combine mashed persimmon with coarse ground coffee and use it as a scrub against cellulite. Repeat the treatment three times a week for about three months)
- Improves vision(It works on retina and arrests eye related degenerative diseases -cataract)
It is usually eaten raw in ripe form. However, its dried variant is eaten as a snack and used in making desserts.In some parts of South East Asia,the leaf of this fruit is used in making tea.
Are There Any Side Effects
- They are safe to eat and it has rare chance of allergy.Its side-effects may be not severe but over eating has some bad effects.
- It provides many health benefits as detailed in the earlier section but there is a need for caution because of the high amount of tannin in it which is the risk factor.Tannin in large quantities can have an anti-nutritional and toxic effect on the body.
- Avoid eating the unripe Persimmon particularly as it contains a high level of tannin which will leave your mouth feeling very dry and numb for some time after eating the fruit.
- Eating it on an empty stomach or in excess can cause diarrhea. So be safe and eat persimmon in moderate and limited quantity.
- Diabetes patients should also eat it in moderate quantities as it contains a high amount of sugar and can elevate blood glucose level.
As you can see there are so many benefits from this fruit for us therefore there is no time to think…consume it on a regular basis and the Winter won’t catch you!
Persimmon And Goat Cheese Salad
- 6 cups greens (mixed, any style)
- 1 Fuyu persimmon, diced
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsps sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 Tbsps. tangerine juice
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 dashes pepper
- Place the greens in a salad bowl and top with the fruits and goat cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk tangerine juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil in a small stream. Adjust to taste.
- Combine with greens and toss
- Sprinkle almonds over all
- Did You Know These Amazing Facts About Kiwi?
- Watermelon Is The Best Summer Fruit And This Is Why!
- Pineapple As Keeper Of Our Health
- The True Value Of Amaranth Seed
- Healthy Side Of Plums You Never Knew!