Tiny in size, but a nutrient-rich powerhouse, wheatgerm is the part of wheat that sprouts and grows into a new plant. Despite being the most vitamin and mineral-rich part of the wheat kernel, it’s left out when wheat is processed into white flour.
It has delicious,satisfying, nutty flavor and distinctive texture. Mayo Clinic says about wheat germ that “Wheat germ adds a healthy crunch to virtually any recipe, from pancakes to fruit smoothies.”
At only 50 calories per 2-tablespoon serving,Wheat Germ delivers a protein-packed punch of vital nutrients, including:
- Vitamin E: This fat-soluble antioxidant helps to protect cells and tissues from damage and may ward off certain diseases.
- Folic Acid: A must-have for pregnant women—and a good idea for everyone else—this B Vitamin helps make healthy new cells to protect against certain cancers.
- Magnesium: This mineral helps keep your heart, bones and immune system strong. Recent data also suggests it may even slash your Type-2 diabetes risk.
- Thiamin: This B vitamin helps convert carbohydrates into energy. It’s also essential for the proper functioning of the heart, muscles and nervous system.
- Phosphorous: Working with calcium to build strong bones and teeth, this mineral is also necessary for the growth, maintenance and repair of all tissues.
- Zinc: Your body uses this mineral for hundreds of functions, such as fighting off viruses, helping wounds heal, DNA synthesis and proper cell division.
BONUS: Wheat germ is also a fiber-rich source of high-quality non-animal protein and only contains heart-healthy polyunsaturated fat. Extra bonus: There’s no sodium.
- 2 tablespoons of wheatgerm
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 bananas
- 75 gr pineapple
- 450 ml apple juice
- 300 ml live natural yogurt
- Spread the wheatgerm and sesame seeds over a baking sheet and toast gently under pre-hited grill,stirring a couple of times until sesame seeds become golden brown.
- Remove them and let them cool
- Peel and slice the bananas
- Remove the skin and core from pineapple and chop the flesh
- Put the banana and pineapple in food processor and blend to get puree
- add the apple juice and blend again to make a smooth juice
- Add the yogurt and the cooled wheatgerm and sesame seeds and blend again
- Pour the smoothie into a jug and serve immediately
Apple And Oat Smoothie
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
- 150 g plain live yogurt
- 200 ml skimmed milk
- few drops vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pure honey
- 2 tablespoons muesli
Process an apple and a banana with 150 g plain live yogurt,200 ml skinned milk,a few drops of vanilla extract,2 teaspoons clear honey and 2 tablespoons muesli in a food processor or a blender.Serve immediately.