What The Heck??
Each one of has at least some piece of jewelry that need immediate attention – cleaning. And the best part is, you can do it by yourself without any additional costs attached to it.
Do you know that you can use some of your household items and make your jewelry shine as new? Yes, you can, and these are the ones you can use most in your jewelry quest of shine.
1.Ammonia For Jewelry Cleaning
Ammonia is a great and safe cleaning agent, that when used properly, can keep your precious items looking good as new. You can bright and shine your gold or silver pieces by making this solution:
Clean diamonds and colored gems
- Make one part water and one part ammonia
- Soak them in the solution for 30 minutes
- Rinse with cool water and place on a towel to dry
- Use an old soft bristle toothbrush, if soaking doesn’t do the cleaning deep enough
- Simply dip the brush into the cleaning solution and smoothly tap around with the bristles of the brush and remove any dirt left
- If needed, dip the ring into the solution once more for extra removal, then rinse and place on a towel to dry
Clean gold and silver
If you want to clean the light tarnish on your gold and silver pieces you can:
- Mix 1/4 cup of warm with 2 tsp of liquid dish-washing soap and 1 tsp of ammonia
- Place the solution on a soft cloth or cotton swab and gently rub the jewelry until the tarnish is removed
- If the soft cloth or cotton swab cannot remove tarnish from detail or around mountings, soak in the solution for 30 minutes
- Cover the head of a toothbrush with a soft cloth and rub gently until the tarnish is removed.
- If needed repeat the procedure
2.Alka-Seltzer-Not Only For Headaches!
Alka-Seltzer have astonishing cleaning uses and this cleaning trick is pretty simple. This cleaning solution works wonders on diamonds and white gold.
DO NOT use this cleaning solution for cleaning your pearls, opals, or silver jewelry cause they might get damaged.
- Put 1-2 Alka-Seltzer in a glass of water and wait until it dissolves
- Put the items ready for cleaning and let the fizzing do its thing for 10-15 minutes
- Remove your jewelry and wipe them with a clean cotton cloth and enjoy them sparkling clean
3.Aluminium Foil – Not Only For Heating Food!
For this home trick for silver cleaning you will need:
- Aluminum foil container
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
How to do it
- Bring water to a boil
- Pour it in aluminium foil container
- Pour in baking soda
- Put silverware in
- Water will activate the baking soda and start the process of transferring the tarnish to the foil
- Add the dry ingredients into the pan and slowly pour in the vinegar
- This might cause a slight reaction, so pour carefully!
- It is possible to clean your silver without adding vinegar, but the vinegar will significantly speed up the process
- Let them stay for about 1 min but in some cases you may need to let them soak a few minutes longer
- Rinse well and air-dry
4.Baking Soda- Not Only For Baking!
If you think baking soda is only used for baking goodies – you are wrong. It can been be used as a jewelry cleaner as well.
How to clean it:
- Make a thick paste with 1/4 cup baking soda and 2 tablespoons water
- Apply with a damp sponge and gently rub, rinse and tap-dry
- To polish gold jewelry, cover with a light coating of baking soda, pour a bit of vinegar over it and rinse
Note: DO NOT use this technique with jewelry containing pearls or gem-stones, as it could damage their finish or loosen any glue!
5.Beer – Not Just For Drinking!
If you think that beer is meant for hot day chilling only – you are wrong. You can clean your gold stuff with it. How?
- Take a piece of cloth, pour some beer on it (not dark one), rub and clean your gold pieces
- Use another clean cloth or towel to dry the items
6.Boiling Water – Not Only For Tea!
It doesn’t get much easier than this.
- Place your gold pieces in a glass bowl
- Boil some water and pour over them
- Wait until the water is cool enough to touch, then remove your gold and gently scrub it with an old toothbrush
- Then rinse clean and dry
7.Club Soda- Not Only For Refreshment!
You can soak your diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and emeralds in club soda to give them a bright shine.
- Simply place them in a glass full of sodium-free club soda and add few drops of liquid soap
- Let them soak for 5 minutes or if needed leave them overnight
- Remove the jewelry from the liquid
- Scrub the jewelry gently with a soft baby toothbrush
- Rinse the pieces thoroughly under cool,running water.
- Then dry it with a soft and clean cloth
- Place the pieces upside-down on a soft towel to allow remaining moisture to drain
If your diamond ring has lost its sparkle, you can restore it by simply dropping a denture tablet into a glass of water. You can do this procedure with your diamond earrings too.
Let them stay for a few minutes. Remove your jewelry, rinse them and see that old sparkle back again.
9.Ketchup- Not Only For French Fries!
I was also surprised when I heard about this, but it works. Ketchup can clean tarnished silver. Dunk your small silver pieces in a small bowl of ketchup and let them stay for a few minutes.
Use an old toothbrush to work ketchup through. Just don’t leave them in ketchup too long to avoid any silver damaging due to tomato acids.
Rinse thoroughly, dry it and it’s ready to be wear again.
10.Toothpaste – Not Only For Teeth!
For my beautiful silver pieces, this is hack that I use often. Put a toothpaste on your tooth brush and brush the wet silver jewels. Or, I put some paste between my fingers and work around the silver pieces. Do it until you clean them.
You can make silver and diamond rings sparkle in no time!
11.Vinegar – Not Only For Salads!
If you want new shine to your silverware, this is also helpful household item. How to do the cleaning?
- Soak them in a mixture of 1/2 cup white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda for 2-3 hours
- Rinse them under cold water and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth
12.Vodka- Not Only Booze!
Few drops of vodka will clean any kind of glass or jewelry with crystalline gemstones. How to do the cleaning?
- Dip a napkin into vodka to wipe away the grime on your eyeglasses
- Or, or dunk your diamond ring for a few minutes to get it sparkling again
Don’t try this with contact lenses!
Also AVOID getting alcohol on any gemstone that’s not a crystal. Only diamonds and emeralds can benefit from a vodka bath clean.
13.Window Cleaner – Not Only For Windows!
You can use window cleaner to shine up your jewelry made from all metal or has crystalline gemstones, such as diamonds or rubies. What’s the catch?
Spray on the cleaner and use an old toothbrush for cleaning.
DON’T do this if your piece has opal, turquoise or any other organic gems such as coral or pearl. The ammonia and detergents in the cleaner might discolor these beautiful natural gems.
Advice: know your gems well before you decide what you will apply on them for cleaning.
- 7 Tips How To Clean Grout And Tiles In Natural Way
- 12 Best Ways To Clean Your House With Bleach Cleaner
- Avoid Making These 10 Mistakes When Cleaning Your Home
- Have You Ever Tried These Amazing Baking Soda Beauty Uses
- 10 Amazing Lemon “Tricks” You Have To Try