You know the old saying about lemon: “when life gives you lemons, you must make lemonade”. Well, apart from making your favorite lemonade, lemons can be used for various other purposes, too.
In addition to health and beauty remedies, there are many things you can do with lemons, which are all natural with no chemicals or additives and smell amazing.
The acidic nature of lemons and the grease-cutting oil contained in the peel makes this fruit a multi functional agent.
Plus, lemons are readily available and are cost effective.
1. Washes Off Pesticides
Organic food products are not always readily available, plus they can be expensive. But eating commercially produced goods, such as fruits and vegetables, are not good for your health due to the pesticides with which they may have been treated.
Washing your fruits and vegetables in just plain tap water, at times, is not enough to get rid of the harmful pesticides. This is where you can make use of a lemon.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- Add 1 cup of water to it and mix well
- Transfer the solution to a spray bottle
- Spray this solution on your produce, and wait for a couple of minutes
- Finally, rinse well and wipe off your produce with paper towel
Using this homemade fruit and vegetable wash will give you added peace of mind.
2.Stops Rice From Sticking
Making rice is very easy, but for many keeping the rice from sticking together can be tough.
The fluffy texture of rice is important for many rice recipes. To get the perfect texture, lemon is what you need.
Simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a pot of rice and water before bringing it to a boil. When the rice is done, you will not even taste the lemon in it.
As a bonus, the lemon juice will help keep your rice beautifully white, which makes your food look mouthwatering.
3.Cleans The Microwave
If your microwave is getting messy and needs a good cleaning, lemon is the secret ingredient to try. The acidic nature of lemons works as a good stain and grease remover and will help to get rid of all the buildup on the inside of your microwave.
It will even eliminate nasty odors.
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with water
- Add the juice of 1 to 2 lemons to the water
- Also, put the lemon peels into the bowl
- Put the bowl in the microwave and turn it on high power for 3 to 5 minutes
- Turn off the microwave, but do not open the door for another 5 to 10 minutes
- Finally, open the door and wipe the inside with a washcloth
With this easy lemon hack, you do not have to put off cleaning the microwave until next time.
4.Prevents Hardening Of Brown Sugar
To prevent brown sugar from hardening and clumping, it is important to store it in a cool area in a covered, airtight container once the box or bag has been opened. Proper storage helps avoid drying out and hardening of the sugar.
Along with using the proper containers to store your sugar, you can use a simple lemon hack to help prevent your brown sugar from hardening into a solid mass.
The next time you use and store your sugar, just add 2 small lemon peels or a whole lemon to the container or bag. You will not have the problem of clumping again.
5.Keeps the Chopping Board Clean
It is important to keep your cutting board clean, as you are using it to do all your chopping and cutting for cooking. If your chopping board looks (or smells) bad, you can use lemon to make it as clean and fresh as a new one.
Lemon will remove all the stains and will even deal with bacteria as well as odors.
- Spread some coarse salt on the chopping board
- Use a lemon wedge to rub the salt across the board
- Make sure to give it a nice scrub, as hard as you can
- Once you are done scrubbing, rinse it off well with lukewarm water
Lemons can even be used to clean your cheese grater. Simply grate the fleshy side of a lemon on both sides of the grater.
6.Removes Limescale From Kettles
Limescale, a calcium compound common on kitchen appliances that come into regular contact with water, is a household nuisance. This hard-water deposit can be easily vanquished with the right cleaning agent and a bit of elbow grease! And the right ingredient is none other than a lemon.
The acidic nature of lemons helps loosen the limescale and even keeps the appliance smelling fresh and nice.
- Pour distilled water into the kettle, up to the “maximum water capacity”
- Cut 2 or 3 lemons into pieces and add them to the kettle
- Bring the water to a boil, then set it aside to cool
- Once it’s cool, use a soft brush to clean the inside
- Rinse it out 2 or 3 times with clean water
- Wipe the inner surface with a clean cloth and leave it open to air-dry
If any scale remains, simply repeat the process.
7.Works As A Nail Polish Remover
Getting ready for a party and your nail polish remover bottle is empty? Well, there is nothing to worry about if you have a lemon in your refrigerator.
Lemon works as a great nail polish remover alternative. It will even make your nails whiter then before.
- First, soak your nails in warm water for 10 minutes
- Now, soak a cotton ball in a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and vinegar
- Place the cotton ball on your nails for 20 to 30 seconds
- Give your nails a nice rub with a clean cloth to scrub off the nail paint
8.Makes Your Home Ant-Proof
House-invading ants are very frustrating to deal with. Now, using lemon you can deal with them in a very natural way, minus the chemicals found in pesticides that are harmful to humans and the environment.
It is the smell of lemons that deters ants. Plus, the acidic nature masks their scent trails, which means they lose track of the pathways in and out of your house.
- Extract some fresh lemon juice into a bowl. Dip a washcloth in the juice and use it to rub the juice on all possible areas where ants are getting in.
- You can also put a few drops of lemon essential oil on cotton balls and leave them in cabinets and other areas where ants are seen.
- Also, place small pieces of fresh lemon peel around outdoor entrances to deter their entry.
Use this simple and easy lemon hack every few days until the ants are completely gone.
9.Cleans Your Bathroom Tiles and Bathtub
Cleaning the bathroom tiles and bathtub is a very tiring task. The regular use of soap and oils in the bathtub leaves a nasty greasy mark that can be hard to get rid of.
Commercial bathroom cleaning products are expensive as well as chemical-laden. For an easy solution, try a lemon and some common salt.
The acidic property of lemons will take care of the grease, while salt particles will work as a scrubber.
- Cut a lemon in half
- Sprinkle some salt on it
- Use it to scrub the tiles and bathtub
- Finally, thoroughly rinse the tub and tiles with water
Lemon will also leave your bathroom smelling fresh and nice.
10.Controls Flea Infestations
Fleas are definitely a nightmare, as they can cause itchiness and even lead to an infection in both humans as well as pets. There are many flea treatment products available in the market, but they are full of chemicals.
One easy way to control a flea infestation is in your kitchen in the form of lemons. The acidic nature of lemons not only kills the existing fleas but their eggs as well.
- Cut 2 lemons into thin slices, put them in a pan of water and bring it to a boil
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the solution to steep overnight
- The next morning, strain the solution and pour it into a spray bottle
- Spray the solution on your pet to dampen its fur
- Comb thoroughly using a flea comb
- Also, spray this solution onto all possible areas where you suspect fleas hang out
It is definitely worth to try some of them and see which one works best!
- 15 Best Ways To Get Rid Of Ants Naturally
- 7 Tips How To Clean Grout And Tiles In Natural Way
- Are Cracked Feet Bothering You? These Amazing Remedies Can Help!
- 12 Best Ways To Clean Your House With Bleach Cleaner
- 11 Best Ways How To Get Rid Of Stink Bugs Naturally